[Spambayes] Just a thought...

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Thu Dec 8 04:01:07 CET 2005

Since you're an Exchange user, create an Outlook rule to move messages
from your business partner to a folder that doesn't get filtered. By
default, such rules run on the server. (Indeed, it's hard to create one
that doesn't, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion.) Since
Spambayes runs on the client, the message will have been moved out of
reach before Spambayes has a chance to see it.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: spambayes-bounces at python.org [mailto:spambayes-bounces at python.org]
On Behalf Of Rick Scherle
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 1:51 PM
To: spambayes at python.org
Subject: [Spambayes] Just a thought...

First of all, I really like this piece of code. I've been interested in
Bayesian filtering ever since Graham wrote his paper, and your
implementation is very useful.

SpamBayes mostly works on my email, but occasionally an important
message from one of my business partners gets sent to the questionable
mail folder. I don't want this to ever happen, not even one time.

There are some people with whom I correspond that are completely trusted
by me, regardless of the content they send. Yes, it is possible that
they could be impersonated. Yes, it is possible that a virus could take
possession of their laptop, but these are the risks you run in a
relationship. (I'm not going to give my girlfriend a weekly blood test
before I sleep with her.)

In my experience, it is far too easy to get dogmatic about a philosophy
and forget what it is that we were trying to do in the first place. And
so, when people ask for white lists or black lists, the immediate
reaction is that this is not within the philosophy of Bayesian
filtering. Well, true enough. But they are SO easy to implement, and
they could be an adjunctive technology which moves your software from
98% to 100%; at least for me.

All the best, and keep up the good work.

--Rick Scherle