[Spambayes] help please????

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Dec 8 03:09:20 CET 2005

> I have gone through the installation guide for outlook express, but
> when i put my incoming pop 3 to localhost, then ask to send/receive,
> outlook express seems to be looking at my emails, and says that it is
> receiving, but nothing seems to happen, the pop 3 times out each time.
> Have I done something wrong, it all seems pretty basic to me.

Are the instructions you're referring to the ones in the FAQ?

<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#how-do-i-set-up-spambayes-and-outlook-
express>

Those are probably (hopefully) the simplest step-by-step instructions
for getting SpamBayes working with Outlook Express.

Did you put "mail.optusnet.com.au" in the very top box in the
SpamBayes configuration page?

> or do i have to do that part about installing the service??????

No.  As it says, if you don't know what a service is, then you don't
need it.

> Have a d-link router attached to my broadband modem, have avg
> antivirus and zone alarm firewall installed. am using optus which has
> pop 3 of mail.optusnet.com.au

The problem might be AVG, if it has also set up a POP3 proxy (to scan
for virii).  There's information about this in the FAQ:

<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#i-already-have-a-pop3-proxy-so-how-can-
i-use-sb-server>

Basically, return everything to how it was prior to SpamBayes.  In
Outlook Express, check to see where OE is connecting to to get mail
(the "Incoming Server").  If this is/was already "localhost" (or
127.0.0.1), then it's connecting to AVG.  In that case, look on the
Advanced tab and check which port is set for the incoming server, and
change it to 8110.

In the SpamBayes configuation, put "localhost:PORT" (where PORT is
the original number from the previous step) rather than
mail.optusnet.com.au.  In the second box, put "8110" (without the
quotes).

What this does is set things up so that Outlook Express connects to
SpamBayes which connects to AVG which connects to OptusNet.  Let us
know if you have troubles along the way.

=Tony.Meyer