[Spambayes] Sharing database among multiple IMAP clients?

Jesse Pelton jsp at PKC.com
Thu Dec 8 14:19:12 CET 2005

I can't comment on the feasibility of replicating the database in
various ways.  Instead, I'll make my standard claim: SpamBayes learns so
fast that it's just not worth worrying about sharing the database or
even backing it up. In fact, I throw my database away occasionally if
filtering seems to be getting worse. I generally find that within a day
or two I'm happier with the results, though my assessment is completely
subjective. (My databases tend to become unbalanced over time, with spam
outweighing ham by increasing margins. My hypothesis is that this is
because the content of the spam I receive evolves, so I have more
uncertains that need to be trained. I train on errors.)

I'm not advocating this particular regimen, just making the point that
SpamBayes training is easy and fast.  By contrast, figuring out a way to
share the database is likely to be somewhat difficult and error-prone.
I wouldn't do it myself, but if this is the sort of thing that gets your
motor going, by all means indulge yourself!