[Spambayes] SpamBayes Question...

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sun Dec 11 05:58:05 CET 2005

> A side project of mine includes understanding the Outlook database,
> I have this curiosity to see if I can syncronize my Outlook pst
> data with MySQL server.
[...]
> My assumption about the SpamBayes Outlook plugin is that it
> accesses the pst personal folder ergo the Outlook database. If this
> is not correct could you kindly correct my observations? If I am
> correct, and your plugin does access the data within the Outlook
> database system, could you possibly help me to understand how this
> occurs? I am a hands on guy when it comes to software: the farther
> I am from the source the less I understand and the more I long to
> grasp the story of how things work.

The source is indeed the best place to start.  Download a copy and
take a look at the .py files in the Outlook2000 directory.  If you
want a gentler start, there's a simple Outlook plug-in demo included
in the pywin32 distribution.

Basically the plug-in accesses Outlook via COM using MAPI.  The
SpamBayes source shows how to do it with Python, but you could also
use other languages, of course.