[Spambayes] 1.0.1 binary + Outlook 2003 SP1 run error

Matt Ross m.g.ross at herts.ac.uk
Wed Feb 2 17:23:49 CET 2005

> > Just out of
> > interest I tried installing Python and the source code version
> > instead. Results were exactly the same, except for the .DLL name of
> > the plugin being different.
>
> Hmmm...that's interesting.  If you open PythonWin before
> starting Outlook and open up the trace collector (Tools menu)
> and then open Outlook (with SpamBayes enabled), does anything
> at all get printed to the collector?
>
> I suspect that the answer will be no, which pretty much means
> that the plug-in code isn't starting at all.  Out of
> curiousity, do you have any other Outlook plug-ins?

No output as you predicted. On my old PC where it works I have a plugin
called NoHTML installed that converts HTML e-mail messages to plaintext. On
the new PC whether I have that plugin installed or not it still crashes with
Spambayes loaded. Norton AntiVirus 2003 also has its hooks in Outlook but
whether that's installed or not also makes no difference.

Over the past few days I had to completely reinstall the new PC from scratch
[overclocking experiment gone wrong] so I had a completely fresh setup to
try again. XP Pro with SP2 integrated, then all the Windows Updates. Then I
installed Office 2003, followed by Office Updates to take it past SP1. Next
was Spambayes binary. Load up Outlook and it still crashes in exactly the
same manner. When I tried to load PythonWin, Windows killed the process
because of the DEP security on my Athlon64 CPU and I had to allow Windows to
accept it as a safe application. This did not affect Spambayes crashing but
I'm wondering if the DEP is interfering with Spambayes somehow?

Regards,

Matt