[Spambayes] New user, issues with command line use

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Feb 14 00:25:07 CET 2005

>>   * You can use sb_filter (-g or -s) to train a single message.
>
> I've been experimenting with this method but I was puzzled why the
> .hammiedb was not being updated.  Then I realized that since I was
> having it run through an E-mail alias the sb_filter program was being
> run as user "mail" and sure enough the ~mail/.hammiedb file was being
> updated each time, not exactly the effect I was going for.
>
> I tried to run it with -d ~user/.hammiedb but that didn't
> seem to work either.

That ought to have worked.  Did it fail to run/update, or keep updating the
~mail/.hammiedb file?

> Ah, I see.  The problem is that my users will be forwarding the
> messages.  Ugh.

Can you trust them enough to forward them in a fairly pristine manner?  If
the forwarded messages can be in any format, then you might end up with some
quite odd effects.

> We also use IMAP here exclusively so the POP3 proxy
> won't help me anyway.

Are you wanting to train individual databases for each user, or one global
one?  If the latter, can you make a write-only IMAP mailbox that's
accessible to everyone?  If so you could use sb_imapfilter to do the
training.  If the former, you could probably still do this with
sb_imapfilter.

=Tony.Meyer