[Spambayes] New user, issues with command line use

Gregory Gulik greg at gulik.org
Mon Feb 14 16:50:41 CET 2005

Tony Meyer wrote:
>>I tried to run it with -d ~user/.hammiedb but that didn't
>>seem to work either.
>
> That ought to have worked.  Did it fail to run/update, or keep updating the
> ~mail/.hammiedb file?

when I run it from the script with the following command line:
/usr/bin/sb_filter.py -d ~greg/.hammiedb -s

The file does not seem to be updated:
[root at server bin]# ls -l ~greg/.hammiedb
-rw-rw----    1 greg     mail       684032 Feb 10 11:36 /home/greg/.hammiedb

The file is RW to group mail since it will be run as user "mail"
I get the following traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/sb_filter.py", line 258, in ?
     main()
   File "/usr/bin/sb_filter.py", line 249, in main
     action(msg)
   File "/usr/bin/sb_filter.py", line 193, in train_spam
     self.open('c')
   File "/usr/bin/sb_filter.py", line 164, in open
     self.h = hammie.open(self.dbname, self.usedb, self.mode)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/hammie.py", line
267, in open
     return Hammie(storage.open_storage(filename, useDB, mode))
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/storage.py", line
708, in open_storage
     return klass(data_source_name, mode)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/storage.py", line
187, in __init__
     self.load()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/storage.py", line
212, in load
     self.dbm = dbmstorage.open(self.db_name, self.mode)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/dbmstorage.py", line
65, in open    return f(db_name, mode)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/dbmstorage.py", line
38, in open_best
     return f(*args)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/dbmstorage.py", line
20, in open_dbhash
     return bsddb.hashopen(*args)
bsddb.error: (2, 'No such file or directory')

> Can you trust them enough to forward them in a fairly pristine manner?  If
> the forwarded messages can be in any format, then you might end up with some
> quite odd effects.

Yeah, there are only a few so I can probably do that.  It would be
REALLY nice to have a Mozilla Mail plug-in to do the reporting in the
proper format.

> Are you wanting to train individual databases for each user, or one global
> one?  If the latter, can you make a write-only IMAP mailbox that's
> accessible to everyone?  If so you could use sb_imapfilter to do the
> training.  If the former, you could probably still do this with
> sb_imapfilter.

Ideally I'd like one for each user.  They each get different mailing
lists that might resemble SPAM to other users.

--
Greg Gulik                                 http://www.gulik.org/greg/
greg @ gulik.org