[Spambayes] Install Probs SuSE 9.1

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Sat Feb 19 09:45:01 CET 2005

> I receive the following error when I attempt to install
> spambayes-1.0.3 on a SuSE 9.1 Linux System:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>      File "./setup.py", Line 12, in ?
>          from distutils.core import setup
> ImportError: no module named distutils.core

On some systems you need the python-dev package installed to have distutils available, I believe.  Something along the lines of "apt-get install python-dev" should fix it.

(This is mentioned in the last paragraph of the "prerequisites" section of the README).

I assume (but do not know for certain) that this is actually only necessary for the install process, which just copies the scripts and the spambayes package directory.  You could presumably run SpamBayes without this, simply by ensuring that the spambayes directory is on the PYTHONPATH (e.g. setting the PYTHONPATH environment variable to include the spambayes directory).

=Tony.Meyer