[Spambayes] problems with availability spambayes for all users

Micky Geerts Geerts at agriterra.org
Wed Jan 5 12:50:49 CET 2005

Hello,

Here is my problem (I'm not too technical, maybe that's the biggest
problem ;-))

My colleague and I work both on one computer; I have administrator
rights and have no problems with spambayes and have been using it since
a few weeks now. My colleague however, cannot benefit from spambayes and
I have tried everything to install it on her account. Now, I have found
something on your troubleshooting pages, but I cannot execute the
command as stated below.

    "c:\Program Files\SpamBayes\bin\outlook_addin_register.exe"
hkey_local_machine

Could you please let me know how and what I should do? I understand I
have to change the path accordingly, but that is where my understanding
stops. We are working with Outlook 2003 in combination with Exchange.

Thank you for your help and I wish to congratulate you and your
colleagues for creating such a wonderful tool!

Kind regards,

Micky Geerts

SpamBayes is not available for all users on the machine.

When SpamBayes is installed, by default it is available only for the
user who installed it.  This is to allow SpamBayes to appear in
Microsoft Outlook's Com-Addin list, and therefore able to be activated
and de-activated by the user inside Outlook.
It is possible to register the addin so it is available to all users on
a particular machine, which can be useful in enterprise arrangements
where users have 'roaming profiles'
To register SpamBayes in this way, you must log on as a user with
permissions to modify the system registry, then execute the command
(obviously with the correct path substituted):
    "c:\Program Files\SpamBayes\bin\outlook_addin_register.exe"
hkey_local_machine
If you check the installation log
<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/spambayes/spambayes/Ou
tlook2000/docs/troubleshooting.html?rev=HEAD#CheckLog#CheckLog>  after
performing such an install, you should see the following messages:
    Registered: SpamBayes.OutlookAddin
    Registration complete.
    Registration (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) complete.
Note the last line, which does not exist when registration is performed
only for the current user.  Once you have performed this registration,
the Addin will be available for all users - but as noted above, it will
no longer appear in Outlook's Com-Addin list.

Agriterra

P.O. Box 158

6800 AD  Arnhem

Willemsplein 43-II

NETHERLANDS

Tel.

:

+31 26 354 2001

Fax

:

+31 26 445 5978

e-mail

:

geerts at agriterra.org <mailto:geerts at agriterra.org>

website

:

http://www.agriterra.org <http://www.agriterra.org/>

Agriterra operates the employment office AgriPool
http://www.agripool.org

Agriterra is member of AgriCord, the Alliance of Agri-Agencies
http://www.agricord.org

Agriterra is partner of the IFAP-Development Cooperation Committee
http://www.ifap.org

Sign up for Free e-mail at http://www.peasantsworldwide.net