[Spambayes] RE: Spam Clues: Schulz asked me to send you this.

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri Jan 7 04:55:17 CET 2005

> Some users may find it confusing to have to add specifications
> to a (possibly missing) configuration file.

Agreed!  Any options that we expect people would actually want to use are
exposed in the GUI - but there are too many possible options to expose them
all.

A lot of this is my fault, for two reasons:

 1. I encouraged people to try out experimental options in the release notes
for 1.0.1, and I sometimes suggest using them in spambayes at python.org
messages (particularly the use_bigrams option, which I quite like).

 2. The documentation (for Outlook users) is very lacking in this regard.
In fact, there pretty much is none apart from spambayes at python.org archives.

I plan to remedy #2 before 1.0.2/1.1a1, so that there are clear instructions
about how Outlook users can access these experimental/very advanced options.

> I suggest that you include a configuration file in every release,
> with all possible options specified but commented out. (Ideally,
> the comments would include a brief explanation of each item.)
> Then you could simply advise the user to (for example) "uncomment
> the x-use_bigrams option".

I like this idea - thanks!  I may very well do this, or something similar as
well as improving the documentation.