[Spambayes] Spambayes with Blackberry

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri Jan 7 04:58:36 CET 2005

> I am using a Blackberry device where my mails are
> re-directed from my inbox to my BB. Is there a parameter
> I can set to receive also my mails without the spam on my BB.
>
> Actually I am not sure how this work, Some seem to be
> filtered and other not. Is it related with the delay factor?

The way things work (by default) is that SpamBayes waits for a certain
amount of time after Outlook tells it that there is a new message in a
folder that is being watched before doing any filtering.  The intent is that
during this time all Outlook rules are processed (any messages that are
moved are not filtered - unless they land in another folder that is being
watched).  The default timer values ought to work in most cases, but can be
adjusted in the Advanced tab of the SpamBayes Manager.

Without the timer system, what happens is that it is completely unknown
whether, for any given new message, SpamBayes will get to it first, or
Outlook's rules will get to it first, or whether they'll try and access it
at the same time.  This causes lots of difficulties, so we do the best we
can, and ensure that SpamBayes runs last.

The "some seem to be filtered and other[s are] not", I suspect is because
whatever causes the Blackberry sync (is this an Outlook rule or something
that the Blackberry software does? I don't have any experience with them
myself) to occur happens around the same time as SpamBayes is processing.
Adjusting the timer values may help with this.

If you can get the Blackberry sync to wait a bit longer, then that will
probably mean that spam messages are out of the folder, and so aren't
transferred.  I don't know if this is possible, though.

In the longer term, the upcoming SpamBayes 1.1 release includes an option
that lets you move good messages into a folder, like spam messages are moved
into the spam folder.  You can use this (this is one of the main reasons for
the addition) to then just have the Blackberry sync that good folder, into
which all the good mail and no spam will arrive.