[Spambayes] Trained two times as much spam as ham

Rick Friedman RickFriedman at vfemail.net
Tue Jan 18 20:33:54 CET 2005

I was just wondering about the ratio of spam to ham trained.

I've been training on errors & unsures. So far, I've trained 126 spams
and 51 hams. I keep hearing that we should strive to keep the training
ratio at about 1:1.

Spambayes is working very well with the current training. I can't
remember the last time an email was misclassified. However, I do still
get man unsures which, inevitably, turn out to be spam. I then train
Spambayes on those unsures.

Obviously, my concern is that Spambayes' effectiveness will diminish as
I continue to train more on more spam. The only time I seem to train as
ham is when a ham email shows as unsure (which is few & far between).

Am I right to be concerned about this, apparent, continually growing,
imbalance in the training ratio? If so, what should I do about it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rick
--
  "Try not to become a man of success, but rather, try to become a man
of value." - Albert Einstein