[Spambayes] SpamBayes with Thunderbird??

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jan 24 04:21:16 CET 2005

> However, I have recently switched to Thunderbird (and Firefox).
[...]
> I thought maybe I could use it with SpamBayes, which I know works.
[...]
> I don't see a way to train SpamBayes this time.

Assuming you used the same installer, you should have a SpamBayes tray icon
(the tray is the collection of icons next to the clock in the taskbar).  If
you double-click that (or right-click and select "Review Messages...") then
the review page will open up, from where you do your training.

> On the info page it has something about a mbox or something for OE,
> but I have no idea if I shoudl have this, is it a file and where
> might it be??

You can use that box to do training in bulk if you like (from either OE dbx
files or mbox files), but it's not needed or recommended).

> Also, with Outlook, I had SpamBayes icons on the toolbar and it added
> Spam and Suspect  folders.  None turned up in Thunderbird.
[...]
> Is there somewhere I shoulld be doing more to set this up, or is this
> just incompatible with Thnderbird??

There isn't a plug-in for Thunderbird, so you don't get the same integrated
experience.  There aren't any SpamBayes icons in Thunderbird, for example,
and you'll have to create the new folders you want yourself.  However, the
results are the same, and the web interface should be simple to use (many
people do use it).  If you have any problems or suggestions, please let us
know!

=Tony.Meyer