[Spambayes] 1.0.1 binary + Outlook 2003 SP1 run error

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jan 31 07:18:49 CET 2005

Apologies for the delay.  (I've been trying to think of something to
suggest, which isn't easy with this one).

> Up until recently I have been using 1.0RC2 on my old PC with
> Outlook 2003 SP1. It's been fine but now I'm moving to a new PC. I
> installed Outlook and copied across all my settings and mail,
> as well as Spambayes settings/databases. At this point I hadn't installed
> Spambayes and Outlook loads fine, with the Spambayes toolbar
> still in place even though the buttons do nothing.
>
> Then I installed 1.0.1 and tried running it. Immediately
> Outlook complains that the plugin has caused a problem and asks if
> I want to report it to Microsoft. Next time I run Outlook it wants me
> to disable Spambayes. I looked at the Spambayes log but it only
> contains two lines added at install time [spambayes1.log]:
>
> Registered: SpamBayes.OutlookAddin
> Registration complete.
>
> Is this the correct log? Is there any way I can modify log
> verbosity in the registry or an .ini file?

That is the correct log.  You can modify verbosity in the {profile name}.ini
file, but there isn't any point: a log is never being created by SpamBayes
(if it was, then it would have moved the registration one aside, and there
would at least being the "loading database" message).  If you don't get that
far, then higher verbosity won't give anything either.

> Since this failed attempt I have attempted uninstalling Spambayes and
> Outlook, cleaned up all the files and registry entries for
> both and retried the whole lot with no Spambayes configuration from the
> old PC. Same crash as before.

If you choose not to disable SpamBayes after Outlook says it caused a
problem, does it just say it caused a problem again?  Are there any more
specifics in any of the error messages?  (From memory, the "caused a
problem" one has just about no details at all, which is really no help).

=Tony.Meyer