[Spambayes] spambayes with PC Cillin Internet Sec 2005

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri Jul 29 04:12:26 CEST 2005

> I do find however, that if I change the mail server's name
> to its actual name (mail.merr.com) from "localhost," I CAN
> send email.
>
> So it seems there's a conflict between Spambayes and the PC
> Cillin program.

At a guess, PC Cillin uses some sort of proxy, so you'll have to chain the
proxies together.  FAQ 5.4 talks about this:

<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#i-already-have-a-pop3-proxy-so-how-can-i-use-
sb-server>

> it just occurred to me to question why "localhost" should be
> entered at all as the SMTP (outgoing) server since Spaybayes
> is only concerned with incoming mail.

You only need to use the SpamBayes SMTP proxy if you want to train via
forwarding messages to SpamBayes.  If you train via the review page on the
web interface, then you shouldn't enter anything in the SMTP options in the
configuration page, and you should leave the SMTP server in your mail client
alone.

=Tony.Meyer