[Spambayes] can't get spam bayes to work

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jun 7 06:38:48 CEST 2005

[...]
> let's start with the begining.  "if you are running the
> source code version."  I don't know if I am or not, and I
> don't know what a source code version is.

The beginning is a link that says "Determine your installation type".  If
you click this, you will be directed to the section that explains how to
determine your installation type (binary or source).  In particular, it
says: "If you downloaded an installer .EXE file, then you are running the
binary version".  So you are running the binary version.

> I followed all the instructions.  I have tried to ask smart
> questions, and all I'm getting in response from you is insults,
> and I frankly can't understand why.

I have not insulted you at all.  I am doing my best to help you figure out
what is going wrong, as I do for many other people via the mailing list.
You said that you had already completed the process that I suggested in my
initial email; I pointed out that we need as much information as possible -
particularly about what you've already tried - to quickly solve the problem.
The link to ESR's FAQ for question-asking covers this (in the "be precise"
section: <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise>).

> Why can't you help me?

Because I don't have all the information.  The information I (or anyone
else) needs to figure out what is going wrong is (most likely) in the log
file.  We need to see that log file to figure things out.

> The next thing these instructions say are: "you will need to
> run sb_server in a command window to get the error messages,
> unless you are running as a service."  As I told you before,
> this might as well be in Chinese.

Again, this starts with "if you are running the source code version".  If
you were running the source code version, then it would be a reasonable
assumption that you would understand those instructions.  You are not (as
above), so know to skip the rest of the sentence.

> When I run into people who don't understand my field,
> I try and work with them and help them, not belittle them, or
> confuse them with jargon.

SpamBayes is an open source project, developed by volunteers in their spare
time.  You are welcome to suggest improvements to the program (including the
wording of documentation), and such contributions are gladly received, and
usually quickly added to the project.  You (or anyone else) are also welcome
to help anyone that asks for help via the mailing list; again, there is no
obligation for *anyone* to do this (as opposed to purchased software, where
such support may be part of the contract).

As many users of the spambayes mailing list (not to mention elsewhere) can
attest, I do not try and belittle anyone.  We also do not try and confuse
anyone with jargon - if you looked at early documentation, you would find it
was much worse.  However, unless someone (with the required skills)
volunteers to improve the documentation, it won't get better.  There's also
continual movement towards making using SpamBayes easier to use/install
(again, one can compare the early alphas to 1.0.4), but that also takes
time, and a lot of volunteer effort.

> There is simply no way I can comprehend these instructions.  i
> don't know what they mean, or where to go to find any
> information about them.

The instructions from the troubleshooting guide in a step-by-step form are:

  1.  Open your Windows temp directory as follows:

    1.1  Open an Explorer window (e.g. press Windows-E).

    1.2.  In the "Address" bar towards the top of the window, type:
"C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp" (without the
quotes).  You will need to replace "{username}" with your Windows username.

  2.  In the window, you should be able to find a file called
"SpamBayesServer1.log" (you may not see the ".log", depending on your
settings).  There may be up to four others (all older), named
"SpamBayesServer2.log", "SpamBayesServer3.log", "SpamBayesServer4.log", and
"SpamBayesServer5.log".

  3.  Email this file to the mailing list.  Outlook Express includes
documentation about how to attach files, but the simplest method is to
select the file in the Explorer window, press Control-C, open a new mail
message in Outlook Express, and press Control-V.

[...]
> When I double click on it, I get a screen that says: "There
> are no untrained messages to display.  Return Home or Check Again."

This tells us that SpamBayes is running, which eliminates one possible cause
for the error you described.

=Tony.Meyer