[Spambayes] Not all spam marked as read with "mark spam as read"enabled (Outlook/Exchange)

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jun 13 08:17:40 CEST 2005

> When I get to work tomorrow, I'll get one or two people to
> set it to 9 and send what I find.

Thanks.

> I don't know if this might be a red herring or not, but this
> all started shortly after installing Windows 2003 Server SP1.
> There were some pretty big RPC changes and I'm wondering if
> this might be a low-level problem too, perhaps even with Python
> and SP1.

I don't have any version of Windows Server myself, but I've seen messages
from other people on the list who are using 2003 SP1 with SpamBayes, so it
ought to work - OTOH this is the sort of problem that could easily be
missed.

Ryan, Bob: were either of you using Windows Server 2003 SP1?  If so, do you
have any idea whether you've seen this problem?  (The 'mark as read' option
only sporadically working; this isn't the folder list update problem).

> I'm really grasping but a couple of these users get tens of
> thousands of messages per day. It seems to be worse on busy accounts.
> Myself and another guy only get a few hundred messages a day and we're
> not seeing this. I was thinking there might be some sort of contention
> going on between Spambayes moving the messages and Outlook/Exchange
> updating read or not read flags.

Moving the message and setting the 'read' flag are done separately - since
the move works, I'm guessing it's some sort of issue with the latter.  It's
done with a MAPI call, so maybe something did change with the new version -
I would hope that it would raise an error (and therefore create a log entry)
if so, though.

=Tony.Meyer