[Spambayes] McAfee AntiVirus and SpamBayes

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jun 14 01:23:00 CEST 2005

[Jesse]
> Well, that's two reports in the last few hours.  I'd suggest
> that you both be in touch with McAfee, because it sure sounds
> like they're doing A Bad Thing.

It seems someone already has.  McAfee's website has this information in the
section about "Generic Backdoor.dr":

"""
-- Update June 12, 2005 --
The 4511 DAT files contain an incorrect Generic Backdoor.dr identification
on certain Inno Setup installer files.  This detection was corrected in the
4512 DAT release.

For further information, please refer to the Generic Backdoor description.
"""

SpamBayes (like many other programs) uses Inno Setup for the installer, so
this fits with the description of our problem.  If you upgrade the McAfee
DAT files to 4512 this problem should be fixed, I believe.  Please let us
know if that is not the case.

=Tony.Meyer