[Spambayes] Just for one time a personal message to you

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jun 14 01:37:47 CEST 2005

> Have you ever thought about using such an LSP to avoid almost
> 90% of the complaints that Spambayes is not working (and
> avoiding irritated messages of users who do not understand
> your very helpful answers ;-) )?

There's an open feature request for this:

[ 970859 ] Transparent proxying support?
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=970859&group_id=61
702&atid=498106>

It's certainly possible (with Windows and some *nixes, at least), but it
does make things vastly more complicated (under the hood; theoretically it's
less complicated for users).

I agree that it would be great to have the install process for sb_server
much simpler, and that this is where most people have problems.  However,
IMO, finishing the "autoconfigure" script, which does all the configuration
stuff for the user (for various common mail clients) would be a cleaner and
nicer way of doing this.  Since it's almost done, it would require much less
time, too (which means it's more likely to be done).

OTOH, the SpamExperts guys have indicated that they intend to contribute
back code to SpamBayes, so maybe a LSP-enabled SpamBayes may turn up in the
future.

Thanks for the suggestion!

=Tony.Meyer