[Spambayes] spambayes virus setting

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jun 15 15:43:11 CEST 2005

    Jamie> I am using SpamBayes and enjoy it greatly. My big concern before
    Jamie> I install it on all the computers in my office is that it seems
    Jamie> to automatically open messages with viruses. We use Symantec
    Jamie> AntiVirus Corporate Edition.

    Jamie> I am concerned because if we get sent a virus that is not yet in
    Jamie> the definition file SpamBayes may open it and infect the
    Jamie> computer.

Opening a file and reading it doesn't infect your computer.  That happens
when the virus program is executed, either manually by the person reading
the message or automatically by software that's been configured to
automatically execute files of certain types.  SpamBayes *never* executes
any of the messages it reads and analyzes.

--
Skip Montanaro
skip at pobox.com