[Spambayes] Dealing with devious spam

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sat Jun 18 04:59:36 CEST 2005

    Stephan> I am getting a certain type of especially devious spam (see
    Stephan> message below).  The spam not only tricks outlook into
    Stephan> displaying an advertising image automatically (without asking
    Stephan> permission first), but it also evades SpamBeyes because it
    Stephan> tosses in a long junk message. I can only find a few
    Stephan> identifiers that are always found in this spam:

    Stephan> 'to:addr:nkk' 0.973373 0 8
    Stephan> 'e-mail?' 0.981928 0 12

Just train on these messages.  You might have to train on a couple of them,
but assuming your database doesn't have any mistakes (hams mistakenly
trained as spam or vice versa), SB should begin picking them up quite
consistently.

    Stephan> I would like to manually edit my SpamBeyes database,

Trust me, you almost certainly don't want to do that.  None of the
developers have found that necessary.  You are probably just seeing a
slightly new twist and need to feed some examples to SB.

Skip