[Spambayes] Spam Database available?

KD5NWA kd5nwa at cox.net
Wed Jun 29 20:08:15 CEST 2005

It was so simple it hurts.

I have a hosting account, I created a new account and told my friends about
the temporary new address, I then deleted my email accounts, after two
weeks I created them again and started using them. Six month later, it's
still pretty clean, I tried before deleting the account for one week, but
that didn't work.

I think that they basically took me off their list, all I know is that it
worked, I tried the same thing on my son's email accounts and he is also
SPAM free so far. I subscribe to about 20 Yahoo groups plus others and so
far I'm OK.

When I used 1.03 by the time it got about 10 SPAM's it was already figuring
out a lot of SPAM, but when I switched to 1.04 my problems started.

The problems started when it would classify obvious "SPAM" as "HAM" but
when you went to correct it, the email was not in the review screen, after
a short period the database was so messed up it could not figure out
anything correctly. twice so far I have gone in and deleted all databases
from SpamBayes and the problem is the same.

With 1.04 I already have over 100 SPAM emails that it has received and
still all it says is that it's "unsure" it almost never categorizes
anything as "SPAM" anymore.

I have three PC's that receive the same email, they are not set to delete
the emails from the ISP unless I delete the email. All three are doing the
same thing. The funny thing is that I have a older laptop that I don't use
very much, I upgraded it to V1.04, once a week I fire it up and use it and
read all the emails that have not been deleted. That PC is running on
Windows 2000 instead of XP like the others, it's database has not been
corrupted, and it still extremely accurate at detecting SPAM. I copied it's
databases from the laptop to the other three PC's and within a couple of
weeks after constantly making mistakes in classifying mail the database was
useless.

I'm seriously thinking about going back to 1.03 and hope the problem isn't
caused by a patch from Microsoft.