[Spambayes] Sudden problem with zlib and SpamBayes 1.0

Scotte Zinn szinn at rogers.com
Tue Mar 1 04:50:46 CET 2005

I've been running SpamBayes 1.0 with Python 2.3 quite successfully for a
while.  After a machine reboot today though, the SpamBayes service
refuses to start up.

In the event log, I found the error message

Python could not import the service's module
  File "C:\usr\local\SPAMBA~1.0\windows\pop3proxy_service.py", line 85, in ?
    import sb_server
  File "C:\usr\local\SPAMBA~1.0\scripts\sb_server.py", line 107, in ?
    from spambayes.FileCorpus import FileCorpus, ExpiryFileCorpus
  File "C:\usr\local\SPAMBA~1.0\spambayes\FileCorpus.py", line 90, in ?
    import sys, os, gzip, fnmatch, getopt, time, stat
  File "C:\usr\local\Python23\lib\gzip.py", line 9, in ?
    import zlib
exceptions.ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function

If I run the pop3proxy_service in debug mode, then everything goes just
fine.  Trying to start the service, and it fails.

I've tried uninstalling Python and the win32 extensions and reinstalling
them with no luck

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
-- Scotte