[Spambayes] Outlook Express

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Mar 2 03:36:37 CET 2005

Apologies.  Trying to do too many things at once and sent this when only
half done.

> SpamBayes is working fine but I don't know how to link
> it to Outlook Express so I can automatically delete spam.

Because Outlook Express is so limited, you have to get SpamBayes to add the
classification to the Subject (or To: list) and get Outlook Express to
filter on that.

To get SpamBayes to add the classification:

  1.  Right click on the SpamBayes (little envelope) icon in the tray (next
to the clock), and choose "Configure..."

  2.  About halfway down the page there are options for "Notate To" and
"Notate Subject".  Tick the "unsure" and "spam" boxes for "Notate Subject".

  3.  Save the configuration changes (bottom of the page).

Incoming spam/unsure mail will now have "spam," or "unsure," added to the
subject.

To get Outlook Express to filter on these:

  1.  From the "Tools" menu, choose "Message Rules", then "Mail".

  2.  Click "New"

  3.  Tick the "Where the subject contains specific words" box at the top.

  4.  Tick the "Move to the specified folder" box in the middle.

  5.  Click the blue "contains specific words" in the bottom, and enter
"spam," (with the comma, without the quotes).

  6.  Click the blue "specified" in the bottom and choose the folder that
you want spam to be moved to.

  7.  Give the rule a name (e.g. "SpamBayes spam")

  8.  Click OK.

  9.  Repeat steps 2-8, but for unsure mail.

 10.  Click OK.

And you should be all done.