[Spambayes] RE: SpamBayes bugs: why closed?

Tony Meyer ta-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Mar 2 05:26:49 CET 2005

> I'm writing regarding bugs 1145057 and 1152264 that you
> have closed. I'm sorry but your explanation is not satisfactory
> at all.

The appropriate place for such comments is in the bug tracker (or, if
absolutely necessary, on spambayes at python.org).  Please do not send me
unsolicited mail about spambayes.

> As I explained in the second bug (which you dismissed
> as duplicate)

It certainly appears to be a duplicate to me.  Why do you think it is not?
(Again, please enter such comments in the tracker).

> the log file grows limitless IN A MATTER OF
> MINUTES. This happens to me EVERY DAY now. Do you
> really think this is appropriate?

It is appropriate to log errors, yes.  The cause of the errors is that a
connection is attempted and fails.  A temporary solution is to stop the mail
client trying to connect (or at least as often) when the connection is
failing.

> I'm a software engineer myself
> so I know what I'm talking about. I understand it's hard to
> diagnose and fix it without being able to reproduce it, so
> maybe I can help you to research it?

As detailed in the bug reports, the code has been changed so that duplicate
errors are only logged once per hour, which ought to fix this problem.  This
fix is in CVS Head, so will appear in 1.1a1, when someone manages to release
that.  (There are no plans for a 1.0.4 release, so the fix has not been
backported).

> Maybe I can run some
> special version that would provide an insight to what is
> actually happening.

You are welcome to run from CVS, like anyone else, and check that the fix
works for you.  If it does not, then please reopen the original bug report
with additional information.  This is the standard behaviour.

Alternatively, you are welcome to patch your own copy of spambayes, in any
way that you like.  If you want to try the same patch (to keep using 1.0.x
rather than 1.1, which includes many other changes), then the CVS history
(accessible via viewcvs on sourceforge), and the spambayes-checkins list
(see <http://spambayes.org/contact.html>) have diff's that you can use to
apply it.

=Tony.Meyer