[Spambayes] How to Change the URL for the User Interface

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Mar 8 02:33:21 CET 2005

> Doesn't work in a Local Area Network.  I need to reconfigure
> the server for a 192.168.*.* IP Address.

What exactly are you trying to do?  If the IP address of the machine running
sb_server was 192.168.0.0, then the URL for the user interface would be
<http://192.168.0.0:8880>.  There's nothing in sb_server that cares what the
address of the local machine is - it only matters when the user wants to
open the interface.

OTOH, if you're using Windows (I suspect from the reference to /etc/ that
you are not), and using the tray application, then it will try and open
pages from <http://localhost:8880>.  (The reference to localhost is in
pop3proxy_tray.py).  However, sb_tray is also running the interface, so it's
guaranteed to be the local machine.

> Without a configuration script, then SpamBayes is looking at
> which file:
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
>
> or
>
> /etc/named.conf

Looking when?  SpamBayes never resolves "localhost" into an IP.  IAC, the
answer (presumably) is that since SpamBayes uses the Python asyncore
library, which uses Python sockets, which are IIRC a fairly thin wrapper
over the underlying C library's sockets, it does whatever your C library
does.