[Spambayes] Installation....

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Mar 8 03:03:54 CET 2005

> I use Outlook Express 6....is that the mail server?

It's the mail client.  FAQ 1.5 has a picture that shows which is what, if
you're interested:

<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#is-there-a-high-level-summary-that-shows-how-
spambayes-works>

Your mail server(s) are the machines that you connect to for your two POP3
accounts.  For example, my mail server for the POP3 account I'm sending this
from is pop.ihug.co.nz (hence the tameyer at ihug.co.nz address).

> I connect to two separate POP3 accounts and Hotmail through
> OE6.  I understand that Spambayes can't screen my Hotmail
> account,

Sadly true, unless you're using Outlook (not Outlook Express) or getting
Hotmail mail via POP3 (there are various utilities around that let you do
this).

> but I'd be thrilled with something that could screen
> my POP3 accounts.  If OE6 is not a "mail server", then I'm
> not sure how to answer your question.

You gave me enough information.  You need to:

In Outlook Express:

1.  Select "Accounts" from the "Tools" menu.

2.  Double-click the first POP3 account.

3.  Click the "Servers" tab.

4.  In the "Incoming mail server" section, write down the existing server's
name (e.g. mail.example.com), and change it to "localhost" (no quotes).

5.  Click OK.

6.  Double-click the second POP3 account.

7.  Click the "Servers" tab.

8.  In the "Incoming mail server" section, write down the existing server's
name (e.g. pop.ihug.co.nz), and change it to "localhost" (no quotes).

9.  Click the "Advanced" tab.

10.  Changing the incoming mail server port from 110 to 111.

11.  Click OK.

12.  Click Close.

In SpamBayes (Right click on the SpamBayes (little envelope) icon in the
tray (next to the clock), and choose "Configure...", or go to
<http://localhost:8880/config> in your browser):

1.  In the top box ("Remote Servers") enter in the two POP3 server names
that you wrote down in steps 4 and 8 above, separated by a comma (e.g.
"mail.example.com,pop.ihug.co.nz").

2.  In the second box ("SpamBayes Ports") enter in "110,111" (no quotes).

(Because Outlook Express is so limited, you also have to get SpamBayes to
add the classification to the Subject (or To: list) and get Outlook Express
to filter on that.)

3.  About halfway down the page there are options for "Notate To" and
"Notate Subject".  Tick the "unsure" and "spam" boxes for "Notate Subject".

4.  Save the configuration changes (bottom of the page).

Incoming spam/unsure mail will now have "spam," or "unsure," added to the
subject.

To get Outlook Express to filter on these:

1.  From the "Tools" menu, choose "Message Rules", then "Mail".

2.  Click "New"

3.  Tick the "Where the subject contains specific words" box at the top.

4.  Tick the "Move to the specified folder" box in the middle.

5.  Click the blue "contains specific words" in the bottom, and enter
"spam," (with the comma, without the quotes).

6.  Click the blue "specified" in the bottom and choose the folder that you
want spam to be moved to.

7.  Give the rule a name (e.g. "SpamBayes spam")

8.  Click OK.

9.  Repeat steps 2-8, but for unsure mail.

10.  Click OK.

And you should be all done.

(We are working on making this a much simpler process.  And with other mail
clients (OE is very limited) is already is...)