[Spambayes] sb_tray eating time and space with unhandled exceptions

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Mar 9 01:14:16 CET 2005

Tony Meyer wrote:
>>I have started to see behavior where the sb_tray applet easts up CPU
>>time and generates voluminous log files.
>

> The bug is starting to really annoy me.  Maybe there will be a 1.0.4 after
> all (it might be quicker to release that than to answer all the mail about
> the problem...)
>
> [...]
>
>>When I look at the large files I find that they have the startup data
>>followed only by *large* numbers of somewhat uninformative
>>lines that read
>>
>>warning: unhandled exception
>>
>>Do more recent releases provide more information about what these
>>unhandled exceptions are, and can anyone shed any light an
>>what might be happening here?
>

> Unfortunately there is no more recent release.  If you run from CVS Head
> (which will be 1.1a1 in the not-too-distant future) then they should only
> get written to the log once per hour.  That helps the effect, but doesn't
> address the cause, though.
>
> I believe that the unhandled exception message comes from asyncore.  If I'm
> following things correctly, select.select() is saying there was a problem
> with a socket.  Unfortunately, asyncore doesn't give any more information
> than "warning: unhandled exception".  Nor does it look straightforward to
> try and collect such information (it looks like a modified/overridden
> asyncore.poll() is required).
>
> Since this didn't come up before 1.0.3 (AFAIK) maybe this is something to do
> with using Python 2.4, since that's the main change between 1.0.1 and 1.0.3
> (and 2.4 did include changes to asyncore).  If you have 2.3 handy and can
> run from source, that may fix the problem.  (Or you can use 1.0.1).
>
> I don't really have much time to look into this until next week (and I'd
> hoped to use that time to get 1.1a1 out).  I need to either find out how to
> replicate this problem (what is it that causes the first error?) or create a
> special release that includes a lot more debugging information, and convince
> someone to run it.  I might manage to try the latter tomorrow.

Sorry, Tony, this must be a pain for you. I'm quite happy to wait until
you have time to address the issue yourself - forward progress is
generally better than patching up, and you have suggested useful
workarounds.

If it gets too troublesome then I'll drop back to 1.0.1.

If I get chance to to some poking around with asyncore I'll let you know
of any useful results. I do indeed see the "unhandled ..." messages in
asyncore.py - not terribly helpful, is it?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/