[Spambayes] GMail and port 995

Ian Carr iscarr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 15:25:01 CET 2005

I've been using spambayes successfully at both work and home for some
two months now and finally decided to go out on a limb and try to
convince it to work with my GMail account.

I bit more information: I'm running Windows XP Home, using Opera 8
Beta 3, and the pop3proxy.  Gmail wants the pop connection on port
995, spambayes defaults to 110.  If I try to make a change in the
account settings in Opera to 110, it claims it can't send login
information.  Okay, so I figure out how to make the proxy pass the
information to the correct port, no problem.  Except it's still not
receiving the mail.  Basically, the connection just times out.  Now,
this isn't a spectacularly big problem at the moment; but I'd like to
get all the wrinkles ironed out of this before I think of moving all
of my email to Gmail.

Oh yeah, and I know I'm using a beta email service on a beta browser
with a spam blocker that's just past 1.0.  But hey, if I don't,
someone else will.