[Spambayes] Automatic deployment of SpamBayes

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Mar 30 02:46:32 CEST 2005

> Plus I couldn't unpack the
> installer file to get to the contents.

I don't know what Inno does to build installers, so I don't know if that's
possible.  You can build everything yourself, if you want to go that route
(instructions are in the README-DEVEL.txt file in the source distribution).

(Ran across this later, which indicates that maybe it can be done:
<http://www.jrsoftware.org/iskb.php?extract>)

> You mentioned the inno help - I searched both the website and
> the local files and couldn't find it.

I can't find it on Inno's website either, just in the documentation you get
when you install it.  So I've put it on our wiki:

<http://entrian.com/sbwiki/InstallerTips>

> The register-outlook-addin.exe seems to work. I installed the
> exe installer version, logged in as a different user and ran
> the tool - afterwards the user was able to run the config
> circle and start the add-in.

You can also run the tool with the command line option "HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
and it will install for all users, if that was what was wanted.  (This
doesn't help if it's just a subset of users that need to have it enabled, of
course).

> It would be great, though, if I could just take an existing
> msi - if available - and combine it with an active setup to
> install the add-in for any possible user.

There isn't a msi at the moment, sorry.  There's a feature request that
includes creating one:

[ 1031959 ] Silent mode for installation
<https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=498106&aid=1031959&group_
id=61702>

But this was closed (by me).  Everything that the OP wanted could be done
with Inno, so there didn't seem to be much point.  If someone wants to
contribute a script to create a MSI, I'm happy to work on incorporating it
into the build process.  I don't know enough to write one myself, though.

Ryan Malayter suggested using the MSI package editor to create a MSI:

<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/spambayes/2004-January/010745.html>

IIRC, a future version of the Python distutils will have a build_msi option
(I seem to recall MvL saying this), which we could probably use.  That's a
while off yet, though (possibly Python 2.5, which is due late 2006 I think).

> The worst problem was the fact that our users don't have
> administrator rights.

This is covered by this feature request:

[ 1124409 ] Remove admin registry write requirements for install
<http://sf.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1124409&group_id=61702&atid
=498106>

There was a fair bit of discussion on the spambayes at python.org list recently
about whether the admin requirements should be removed or not.  ISTM that if
they are not required for the install process to work, then we should not
require them, and that would avoid problems like this.  Others believe that
requiring admin rights is good, so that we don't make it easy for people to
install software when their admin people don't want them to.  No-one really
managed to convince anyone of anything new ;)

For the moment, the feature request is still open, but I'm not planning to
personally work on it until I've done many other things I've got planned.
So a kinda of status quo.

> I had to use the old Sysinternals'
> regmon to find out which HKCR paths were to be opened

Part of the feature request (which will be done soon) is to document the
current requirement, including the exact keys that are needed.