[Spambayes] AssertionError: assert spamcount <= nspam ??

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue May 10 02:03:45 CEST 2005

> I'm wondering if it's a locking issue.  The filter is run out of
> Procmail which uses locking but my train on error script
> doesn't do any locking by itself.  I'm assuming that the Spam Bayes
> scripts do locking on the hammiedb file to prevent problems.

That'll be it.  SpamBayes doesn't do any locking on the db file at all.
Most users don't need it (those that are only using one script, like the
Outlook plug-in, sb_server, or sb_imapfilter), and most users that do
(procmail + sb_filter types) are able to do their own locking.  So it's
never been added.

If you can get your scripts to do the locking, that would be easiest.
Otherwise, you could patch SpamBayes to do it - there's an open feature
request for this:

[ 1149648 ] please provide some locking mechanism
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1149648&group_id=6
1702&atid=498106>

If you do patch SpamBayes, it would be great if you could give the patch to
us, as well; I'm sure that we wouldn't have a problem with including it in a
future release.