[Spambayes] [Spambayes] Windows 2003 Server SP1 breaks Outlook Plugin?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri May 13 05:31:25 CEST 2005

> Mark seems to have stopped responding to my Emails.  Must be busy.

I'm sure.  Posting to the pywin32 mailing list might be more successful, but
maybe not.

> I added the code to __init__ (didn't know white-space was
> significant in Python!  Good thing IDLE is helping me.)  and
> I do get output from __init__ but it never gets into
> OnConnection.  I'm having some trouble following the code.
> Where does the OutlookAddin class get created/initialized?  I
> could add some debug statements in there.

That isn't a good sign.  I believe that the OutlookAddin class is
instantiated by Outlook when it loads the COM addin.  If __init__ produces
output that means that that's going ok, but then Outlook is meant to call
the OnConnection method of the addin (this is how it goes for all addins).
If that doesn't get called, then I really don't know what to do - AFAIK
SpamBayes doesn't do anything at all between the end of __init__ and the
start of OnConnection; it's all Outlook.

You could try unregistering SpamBayes, and registering the Outlook addin
demo that pywin32 includes (probably
C:\Python2X\Lib\site-packages\win32com\demos\outlookAddin.py).  The comments
in the file explain how to use it, but it's like the SpamBayes one, really.
(Run it with --debug on the command line).  All it does is add a little
toolbar to Outlook with example buttons.

I suspect that this addin will crash Outlook just like SpamBayes does, again
between __init__ (which doesn't exist - i.e. does nothing) and OnConnection.

If it does, then this has really passed the stage where I will be of any
use.  The best thing would be to post a message to the pywin32 mailing list
saying that the demo addin crashes in this way with 2003 Server SP1, that
you've narrowed it down to between the end of __init__ and the start of
OnConnection, and that PythonWin similarly crashes (maybe opening PythonWin
does something COM related?).