[Spambayes] install error -- python or spambayes?

Benjamin Rahn benrahn at gmail.com
Sun May 15 03:04:38 CEST 2005

(This may be a stupid question, but...)

I'm trying to install spambayes 1.0.4 in a *nix account, and there
seems to be a reasonable installation of python 2.3 on the machine.
Nonetheless, after unzipping and de-tarring the source code, I get the
following error:

    % python setup.py install
    running install
    error: invalid Python installation: unable to open
/usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)

Now, there's certainly something to this error -- there certainly is
no such file.  Subdirectories of /usr/lib/python2.3:

    compiler/ curses/ distutils/ email/ encodings/ hotshot/ idlelib/
lib-dynload/ lib-old/ lib-tk/
    logging/ plat-linux2/ site-packages/ xml/

So, how should I handle this problem?
A. Complain to my sysadmin about something awry with the python installation.
B. Change something in the source code to match the configuration of
the machine (and if so, what?)
C. Conclude that there is actually a problem with spambayes?

Thanks!