[Spambayes] [spambayes-dev] 1.1a1: Lost IMAP INBOX during testing

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue May 17 07:09:38 CEST 2005

> After running through the training folders and my INBOX to classify
> messages, it stopped with the error "cannot EXPUNGE in AUTH mode" (or
> something similar).

This by itself shouldn't have deleted anything (it was trying to, but
couldn't, because it wasn't logged in).  If you're able to duplicate this
error with "-i4" and capture the output that would be great.  Make sure that
you delete your username and password from the start of this output, and
then send it in to us.  (If it's really long, then just the last few lines
before the error should be sufficient).

> At this point, my INBOX may have got partially deleted. But
> it may have happened after I re-ran Spambayes and got the message "The
> command 'Cannot find saved message' failed to give an OK response."

This seems more likely, although it still shouldn't be deleting any mail
unless a new copy has successfully been made.  I'd really like to track this
down if it is happening (although I'm very busy with other stuff right at
the moment).  Again, running with -i4 would help, although I don't want to
encourage you to try and get mail deleted, backed up or not!  (There's an
open bug report about the "cannot find saved message" problem, IIRC, which I
haven't managed to get to yet).

> This is the 1st time I have had such a failure and it is
> worrying that someone less experienced than myself could get caught out
> naively running alpha software.

That's why sb_imapfilter.py -h prints out a warning at the end.  There isn't
really any way around it, other than not expunging by default (which is the
case), and trying to test it out as much as possible before alpha (which we
did).

=Tony.Meyer