[Spambayes] Add For All Users of Computer

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed May 18 02:05:24 CEST 2005

> I read the troubleshooting guide for adding SpamBayes to
> all user accounts.  However, I am not sure how to add the
> new registry key and where.  I have some experience editing
> registry keys, but I just didn't follow the instructions in
> the troubleshooting guide.

You don't need to manually edit the registry - the
register_outlook_addin.exe application will do this for you.  (It's no use
for you right now, but when 1.1 is finished, registering for all users will
be an option in the regular installer).

> Can someone give me some assistance

To register SpamBayes in this way, you must log on as a user with
permissions to modify the system registry (e.g. as Administrator), then
execute the command:

"c:\Program Files\SpamBayes\bin\outlook_addin_register.exe"
hkey_local_machine

Note that you'll need to change the path if you installed SpamBayes
somewhere else.  Note also that the double-quotes in the above command are
significant (and should be typed). Because "Program Files" has a space in
it, you must surround the entire command name with quotes.

To execute the command, either open up a Command Prompt window, or type the
command in the Windows "Run" dialog (Windows-R).

If you check the SpamBayes log file (in the Windows temp directory) after
performing such an install, you should see the following messages:

Registered: SpamBayes.OutlookAddin
Registration complete.
Registration (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) complete.

Note the last line, which does not exist when registration is performed only
for the current user. Once you have performed this registration, the Addin
will be available for all users (note that it will no longer appear in
Outlook's COM-Addin list).

If anything here is unclear, or if you run into difficulties, please let the
list know, and we'll try and help further.