[Spambayes] Outlook 2003 Automatic Junk Filtering

Kenny Pitt kenny.pitt at gmail.com
Fri May 20 21:03:20 CEST 2005

Marjorie Proops wrote:
> I believe I have perceived that when O2003 automatically classifies a
> message as junk and moves it to the junk folder, SpamBayes doesn't
> (isn't able to?) train that the message was junk. As far as SpamBayes
> is concerned, the message never arrived.
>
> Is there any way to avoid this? I find that I can get excellent
> anti-spam filtering using the two filters in conjunction.

You are correct that Outlook will move mail to the Junk E-mail folder before
SpamBayes sees it, and there is no way to avoid that behavior.  However,
there are some ways that you can achieve at least most of what you want.

SpamBayes should be able to train on a message even if it did not first
classify it, but you may not be getting the toolbar buttons you need.  When
you are in the folder that you have configured for SpamBayes to use for spam
messages, you will only see the "Not Spam" (or "Recover from Spam" depending
on your SpamBayes version) button on the toolbar.  In other folders, you
will see the "Spam" (or "Delete as Spam") button instead.

The default SpamBayes configuration uses the same junk mail folder as
Outlook, so you only see the "Not Spam" button.  If you would rather see the
"Spam" button in the Junk E-mail folder, you can configure SpamBayes to use
a different spam folder than Outlook.  Just create a new folder such as
"SpamBayes Spam", then go to the Filtering tab in SpamBayes Manager and
select the new folder in the Certain Spam section.  The "Junk E-mail" folder
will now receive messages caught by the Outlook junk filter, and the
"SpamBayes Spam" folder will receive messages that were missed by Outlook
but caught by SpamBayes.  Unfortunately, there isn't much that SpamBayes can
do about it if Outlook marks a legitimate message as junk.

--
Kenny Pitt