[Spambayes] (no subject)
tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sun May 22 04:23:30 CEST 2005
> Can you advise me the correct method for configuration
> with Outlook Express. I use Windows XP, and am using
> peoplepc.com as my ISP.
1. Right-click on the little envelope icon that appears in the tray
(collection of icons by the clock) and choose "Configure...".
2. In the top box, enter the address of your mail server (e.g.
3. In the second box, put "110".
4. About halfway down the page, tick the "unsure" and "spam" boxes in the
"Notate To" option.
5. Click "Save" at the end of the page.
6. In Outlook Express, go to Accounts from the Tools menu.
7. Select the mail account (clicking the Mail tab might help find it).
8. Click Properties.
9. Click the Servers tab.
10. In the "incoming" box, write "localhost" (without the quotes).
11. Click Ok & close your way back out again, and you're done.
Now incoming mail will have "unsure," or "spam," in the recipient list (if
SpamBayes thinks it's unsure or spam). You can setup rules to move those to
other folders, colour them, or whatever. For example:
1. Create two new folders in Outlook Express, one called "Possible Junk"
and one called "Junk Mail".
2. Do Tools->Message Rules->Mail.
3. Click "New" to create a new rule (I think that if there are no existing
rules it will do this for you).
4. Click "Where the To line contains people" in the top box, and "Move it
to the specified folder" in the second box.
5. Click the blue "contains people" in the third box and type "unsure" (no
quotes), then click "Add", then click "Ok".
6. Click the blue "specified folder" in the third box and find and select
the "Possible Junk" folder that you made in step 1, then click "Ok".
7. In the fourth box, name the rule "SpamBayes unsure"
8. Repeat steps 3 through 8, but type "spam" rather than "unsure", choose
the "Junk Mail" folder, and name the rule "SpamBayes spam"
9. Click Ok.
Mail will now be split between your Inbox, the Possible Junk folder, and the
Junk Mail folder, depending on how it was classified. You do training by
double-clicking the envelope icon and filling out the review page that
Note that there is a flaw in this method: if you get mail from someone who
has "unsure" or "spam" in their email address, those messages will also be
moved. (The problem comes about because Outlook Express is so limited in
the filtering it can do). There is a way to workaround this, so let us know
if it's a problem. When the final 1.1 release is made, it will avoid this
problem (instead of just "unsure", it adds "unsure at spambayes.invalid").
Please always include the list (spambayes at python.org) in your replies
(reply-all), and please don't send me personal mail about SpamBayes.
http://www.massey.ac.nz/~tameyer/writing/reply_all.html explains this.
More information about the Spambayes