[Spambayes] Spambayes eats lots of memory

François VOGEL fvogelnew1 at free.fr
Fri May 27 21:38:04 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm running Win XP SP2 on a 4-months old PC with 512 MB RAM, with the
latest SpamBayes 1.1a1 and Outlook Express.

It is running very fine as to its filtering capabilities, and this
really changed my life, but it eats huge amount of memory.

This happens gradually worse as I train more and the computer (or just
Spambayes) is not restarted. I have now approximately 50 spam and 50 ham
trained only.

Process sb_tray.exe can use up to 200 MB of memory and maybe more (did
not be patient enough to see how far this would go!).
Each time Outlook Express recovers the new mail, everything slows down
dramatically because the computer is swapping memory on disk.
Even when there is no mail traffic between Outlook Express and
Spambayes, this memory is not released. It is neither released when I
close Outlook Express but it is to some extent (still 50MB used for
sb_tray.exe) when I stop Spambayes. At this point I cannot start
Spambayes again, I have to exit Spambayes (I find my memory back) and
launch it again (~40 MB used for it).

Is this the normal behaviour? How comes that comparing with approx. 100
messages needs so much memory that is never released?

The logfile seems perfectly normal AFAIK:
C:\Program Files\SpamBayes\lib\spambayes.modules C:\Program
Files\SpamBayes\lib\spambayes.modules\spambayes\languages
Service not available. Using thread.
User interface url is http://localhost:8880/

Thanks for any hint.
Francois