[Spambayes] "Blank" Emails clogging my inbox.

Tony Meyer Tony.Meyer.1 at uni.massey.ac.nz
Fri Nov 4 04:02:39 CET 2005

> I checked my outlook settings to see if Junk filtering was turned
> off, and
> apparently it was on.  How it got to be on is anybody's guess,
> since this is
> a locked computer and no one else has access to it, and of course, if
> someone somehow managed to hack into it, it's highly unlikely that
> this is
> the one thing that they'd mess with.  As it turns out the problem
> has only
> existed for the past two weeks, so somehow, in the past two weeks,
> junk
> filtering in Outlook got turned on.

My guess would be either some sort of (Windows, Office) update either
accidentally or deliberately switched it on, or some sort of
invisible, automatic repair process did so (while fixing something
else).

> I've turned it off.  Looking at the clues for a message that ended
> up in the junk
> folder, I'm guessing that this is the likely explanation.
> Herewith the clues:  (any further info you might offer will be greatly
> appreciated.  Thanks, Eric.)
>
> Combined Score: 0% (2.77556e-016)
> Internal ham score (*H*): 1
> Internal spam score (*S*): 5.55112e-016

Yes, this scored 0% (well, 0.00000000000000277556), so should
definitely not have been moved to the spam folder.

> # ham trained on: 3316
> # spam trained on: 2

This is a problem, though, if it's still the case.  The ham and spam
counts should be roughly equal (5::1 or even 10::1 is probably ok,
but not 1500::1), and you definitely want to have more than 2 spam
messages trained.  However, I presume this was simply the result of
all the retraining you said you did.

=Tony.Meyer