[Spambayes] Flaw?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Nov 24 10:26:06 CET 2005

> The Not Spam Option does not seem to function in my case. Once a
> source has been tagged as spam – it stays spam.

The button should do two things:

  (1) move the message back to its original location (or the Inbox if
that can't be determined).

  (2) train the classifier that the message is ham (untraining first
if necessary).

Is it doing (1) for you?  It's harder to judge (2), because you don't
really see this training; however, you should notice that
classification quickly gets accurate if you continue to train.

If it's not doing (1), please try it again (to generate the log
entries) and send us a copy of your most recent log (SpamBayes-
 >SpamBayes Manager->Advanced->Diagnostics->View Log).

If it is doing (1), but you don't think it's doing (2) (i.e. it keeps
making mistakes), please select a message it misclassifies - before
you train it - and choose "Show spam clues for this message" from the
SpamBayes menu, and send us the message it creates (with an
explanatory note at the top).  Because SpamBayes starts out with no
knowledge at all, there's no way for us to know what it's making the
decisions it is without seeing the clues specific to the training you
have done.

=Tony.Meyer