[Spambayes] E-Mail ID #319042 [PayPal phish crap]

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 03:50:46 CEST 2005

[Tim Peters]
>> A way to get what you want is turn this into a moderated
>> list, with all postings held for moderator review. ...

[Herb Martin]
> I was (of course) mostly just venting and offering a
> hint to others that this referenced message was "just
> another phish" but I do have a method that might work,
> and I would probably be willing to be ONE of the moderators:

I let this sit for a while so you could see for yourself the rush of
volunteers for such a job ;-)

> When I ran a large lists my settings included the
> following (on Lyris so other lists servers may not
> quite have this feature):
>
> All NEW posters were on "N moderated review" where
>        N was a reasonably low integer.
>        (not publicized, it remained undocumented to users)
>
> After N moderated APPROVALS Lyris removed the moderation
>        block on that user.
>
> This practically eliminated the "drive by spam" to the
> list -- and even idiots who posted personally but could
> never seem to read or even come close to understanding
> the list rules did not interfere with the list....

This list is run via GNU Mailman, which doesn't have such an option.
That's a technical detail.  The real problem is that it wouldn't work
anyway:  there's rarely an extended discussion on this particular
list.  It's mostly one- or two-shot postings, containing questions
from users who won't post again.  IOW, most initial postings here
would fall into your "N moderated review" category.

Most people who _answer_ questions here frequently answer, and
probably wouldn't care if posting were wholly restricted to members.
But this list really exists for the benefit of those who just have a
question or two; discussions about development make more sense on the
related spambayes-dev list.

> With a few moderators (and an appropriate web interface)
> approval for new users -- or even past abuses -- can be
> quite swift.
>
> I will/would volunteer to be one of several moderators
> in such a scheme.

If "several" can be reduced to "one", the job is yours ;-)