[Spambayes] users should share database

Mag. Arno Schoblocher schoblocher at zoppoth.net
Thu Sep 8 10:52:42 CEST 2005

Thank you Jesse and Michael,

for clearifying the point that

> ...there's no robust
> way to share a database among multiple processes.

So, I can use only personal settings for each user in his user profile which
is the standard setting. Let's see how big the databases will grow.

However, the documentation says that multiple user can share one database
(?) but this cannot work when all users save their personal settings to the
same file overwriting other user's settings. Or did I misunderstand
something? Maybe, each user can have its own - personal - network share,
with the only purpose to store the data NOT in the windows user profile.
Maybe my english is just too bad...

When user databases grow to big (for the windows user profile) then I will
simply add the redirection to a network share and move the files there.

Still, I would like to suggest that someone who knows about it adds a "how
to" to the docu for Windows Terminal Server users.

For me, the installation (each user has his personal database in his
homedrive H:) on a Terminal Server would work like this (tested on Win2k Pro
Desktop!):

1) Cleanup and prepare Outlook:

This step is necessary as running Outlook after the installation will bring
up the wizard where one should already have defined spam and ham. (I am not
using the default folders as my folders should have german names.)

Create a folder called "mySpam", move all available spam into that folder.
Cleanup all folders containing "ham" otherwise training Spambayes can  take
ages (I have mails of 4 years in my mailbox), if necessary create a folder
called "ham" and put in typical good mails for training. Create a folder for
unsure mail, like "UNSURE_Mail", it should be located close to the inbox so
that users do not forget to check it.

2) Install SpamBayes:

Log in as admin, run
change user /install

in a dos-box and install the programm, select to install the Outlook-Addin.
After that run in the dos box the following

c:\path_to_spambayes...\outlook_addin_register.exe hkey_local_machine

(I am not 100% sure if this must be done or not)
and check the spambayes event logs and run

change user /execute

Now one can add a file called default_configuration.ini to the SpamBayes
Application directory (\bin) with the following content to move all
databases to the users homedrive (outlook folder that will already exist for
everybody):

[General]
data_directory: H:\Microsoft\Outlook

3) Run Outlook as a User

This will bring up the wizard, use default settings for everything except
the folders "mySpam" for spam and "ham" for training SpamBayes. Have the
program check your inbox and put unsure mail into "UNSURE_Mail".

This will create the database and the personal ini-file in
H:\Microsoft\Outlook.

Any suggestions?

arno