[Spambayes] Configuration

Jesse Pelton jsp at PKC.com
Mon Sep 12 14:22:08 CEST 2005

I could be wrong, but I don't think the current version of SpamBayes
(1.0.4) supports a secure connection to your mail server. I think you
have a couple of choices:

- Install an alpha version of the next release, 1.1a1 from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=61702. This has
the support you need, though being alpha software, it may have problems.
(Many people on this list seem to be using it with little trouble,
however.)
- Use Stunnel to handle the secure channel. See
http://www.peterbe.com/plog/blogitem-20031117-1600
<http://www.peterbe.com/plog/blogitem-20031117-1600>  for an an outline
of the process.

Personally, I'd choose the first option, because a) it's simpler and
therefore less likely to break, and b) you'll be helping to flush out
any bugs in 1.1a1, so the 1.1 final release can be as good as possible.
(Having said that, I'm off to download it myself, so I can practice what
I preach.)

________________________________

	From: shaydeb at peoplepc.com [mailto:shaydeb at peoplepc.com]
	Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 6:57 PM
	To: Jesse Pelton
	Subject: Re: [Spambayes] Configuration

	Thanks for the help Jesse. I followed your directions, but
here's the error message I get everytime I try to retrieve mail via
Outlook Express

	"The server responded with an error. Account: 'PeoplePC Online',
Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Service not
available (server error)', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:
0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90"

	Any suggestions?