[Spambayes] Spambayes and Public folders

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri Sep 16 03:49:16 CEST 2005

> I wasn’t sure where to post this question so please forgive me if
> I’m in the wrong area….

This is the right place.

> I saw a FAQ (I think) about spambayes not working with Exchange
> public folders.  The reason given was not that it couldn’t do it
> but rather that it was not enabled as it was felt that spamybayes
> was written specifically to cover mail items only.  But many
> exchange/outlook users put mail in public folder to facilitate easy
> sharing of ‘global’ correspondence.

If SpamBayes doesn't work with public folders, it's not by design.
(I believe there's an open bug report about this, in fact).  IIRC,
the main issue when this was discussed in the past was permissions,
because SpamBayes writes information to the message (to keep track of
which ones have been classified).

> I noticed that I can select public folders for spam review, but
> Spambayes does not appear to recognize that theirs is mail in the
> folders (probably because Exchange labels the folder contents as
> ‘notes’? ).

SpamBayes does try to only filter mail, and not notes or any other
Outlook item types (this *is* by design).  Do the items in the public
folder have to be items rather than mail?  I don't have access to any
public folders at the moment, but I thought that messages were mail
items and not notes.  Is this perhaps a folder setting?

If this is the only reason that it's not working, then it would be
easy enough to add an option to enable filtering of note items
(assuming that filtering them will work).