[Spambayes] Spambayes and Public folders

Dave Tonner dave_tonner at cbcradio3.com
Fri Sep 16 22:59:01 CEST 2005

Hi again Tony:

I'm afraid that I've missled you!  Messages moved as a result of using rules
on the inbox are not always tagged as posts in a public folder (they are
sometimes though, and I can't re-create that condition right now).  I tried
manually filtering a public folder, and it works (independent of the folder's
permission settings) but I'm not sure where the spam is going - unless it's
going into the spam folder as 'read' - I need to check).  I couldn't get this
to work before so I'm not sure what I changed.

In any case, the "mark as spam button' do not appear in the Spambayes tool
bar when I'm viewing a public folder.

On another front....

The folder's permission settings do appear to have an impact.  I noticed that
I can 'score' a message's spam rating if the folder permissions are set to
allow full access, but if I try scoring folder items with limited access, I
get a message that no filterable items were selected, so... I definitely have
to change the folder permissions.

So far so good!  Thanks for your help so far.

Regards,
Dave

Hi Tony:

Thanks for your note.

Public folders exhibit strange behaviour!  By default (unless you choose
something else), a newly created public folder will accept "mail and post
items" (as per your suggestion, this is a folder setting).  If I create a new
item in a mail and post items public folder - it always shows up as a 'post'.
If I drag a mail item into the folder, it will show up as a mail item (as
displayed by the item's icon).  However, if I set up a rule to move mail
items from my inbox to the public folder, the moved mail items show up as
posts!  It doesn't make sense!

In any case, if I set Spambayes to check a public folder that contains only
mail items (or a mixture of mail and post items for that matter), I get a
message that there are no scanable items.  Apparently Spambayes thinks all
the items are notes.

Regards,
Dave

David N. Tonner, P.Eng.    Dave_Tonner at CBCRadio3.com
Radio3 Operations Manager        Tel: (604) 662-6415
CBC Radio 3                      Fax: (604) 662-6372
VANCOUVER                        Cell:(604) 209-9793
CBCRadio3.com
120Seconds.com
JustConcerts.com
NewMusicCanada.com