[Spambayes] Can you help me? within the contecxt of microsoft - Isspam bayes an MS exchange product or a plugin for outlook?

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Tue Sep 20 13:56:09 CEST 2005

By design, Spambayes, in all of its manifestations, is a client-side
utility. One of those manifestations is an Outlook plugin, which makes
sense because Outlook is itself a mail client. Some people have tried to
rejigger Spambayes to function as a server-side spam filter for Exchange
and other mail servers, but I'm not aware that any of those efforts have
been wildly successful.

That said, Spambayes works almost as well in Outlook as an Exchange
client as it does in stand-alone Outlook. There are some timing issues,
notably involving server-side Outlook rules, which can preempt Spambayes
filtering with annoying results, but these issues are quite workable.
(Actually, Spambayes has different, but almost as annoying, timing
issues with standalone Outlook.) I've been using Spambayes in an
Exchange environment for more than two years and plan to continue to do
so.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: spambayes-bounces+rcoe=cambridgema.gov at python.org
[mailto:spambayes-bounces+rcoe=cambridgema.gov at python.org] On Behalf Of
Inbox
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 7:38 PM
To: spambayes at python.org
Subject: [Spambayes] Can you help me? within the contecxt of microsoft -
Isspam bayes an MS exchange product or a plugin for outlook?

the following was published and I wondered if you could calkrify WRT
spambayes. - - - -

'SpamBayes and SpamAssasin are free and Open
Source, and SpamBayes is also available as an Outlook plugin for use
with non-Exchange standalone systems.'

Thank You

Paul Corcoran