[Spambayes] Tony Meyer - Training question

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Thu Sep 22 13:52:35 CEST 2005

But there's still a fundamental problem with that training regimen: If
you use it, your data base *will* eventually contain far more spam than
ham. And the developers profess to believe that this is a sub-optimal,
and possibly harmful, situation. Absent a solution that allows the user
to selectively prune the data base (or does so automatically), you may
want to recommend that users monitor their ham/spam ratio and retrain
from scratch if it gets too low.

Having said that, I should note that although my ham/spam ratio
currently stands at only .24, it doesn't seem to have appreciably
affected the performance of the filter. I'm just taking the developers'
word for it that there are cases where it seriously matters.

Bob

August