[Spambayes] Moving between i686 and x86_64 'systems'

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 11:32:29 CEST 2006

[Jason Ahrens]
>> The only problem program at this point is Spambayes. The database
>> is not compatible between 32bit and 64bit systems.
>>
>> I don't suppose anyone has found a way to use spambayes between 32
>> and 64 bit systems?

[Tony Meyer]
> What database are you using?  I'm 95% sure that pickle would work.

Yes, pickles are 100% platform-independent.

> I'm 90% sure that ZODB (if you're using SpamBayes 1.1a1) would work.

That too:  ZODB uses Python pickles to store object state, and
inherits platform-independence from that.  ZODB's FileStorage format
is also platform-independent.  If we're using "I" flavors of ZODB
BTrees, a bug in those makes it possible to lose information silently
on a 64-bits box when storing integers that don't actually fit in 32
bits:

    http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1592

I strongly doubt SpamBayes tickles that bug, though.

> I'm 90% sure that one of the SQL backends would work.

That one I don't know about.

> I'm 90% sure that you're using bsddb and it doesn't work.

Yup, the bsddb database format is notoriously platform-dependent; not
even necessarily transportable across two 32-bit boxes.