[Spambayes] Bug?

Tim Stone tim at aterraform.com
Fri Apr 21 21:35:58 CEST 2006

Spambayes operates on a the basis of statistics.  It's keeps track of
words that have appeared in mails you've told it as spam, and based on
the frequency both of the occurrance of those words in mail you've told
it as spam, and the frequency of those words occurring in a particular
mail that's being checked, it calculates a probability that this is or
is not spam.  Then, based on that probability, it moves mail to junk,
junk suspects, or leaves it be.  Now, when you recover a particular mail
from junk, it retrains spambayes on the words that are in that mail,
which generally won't be enough to overwhelm the weight of the
statistics it's already gathered.  What you need to do is keep
recovering from junk mails that you don't want to be there, and
eventually, you'll have readjusted the statistics in its word database,
so it'll make mistakes less and less often.  Very rarely does anyone get
to a situation where it NEVER misclassifies any email, so it's always a
good idea to check your junk every now and then, to recover mail that
you don't want to be there.

All that said, what you've discovered is not a bug, it's the way
spambayes works.  Simply recovering a particular mail from junk is
probably not enough to make sure that that identical mail won't be
classified as junk the next time.  Keep working with it, and it'll
become as accurate as statistics will allow it to be!