[Spambayes] UI issue

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Aug 7 09:05:01 CEST 2006

> Every once in a while I will look in my Junk folder. When I
> am done I will
> sometimes automatically click on the leftmost icon in the
> SpamBayes toolbar.
> Only after I have clicked on it do I realize that I have
> clicked on "Recover
> from Spam" rather than "Delete as Spam".
> I would like to suggest that rather than having the Delete As
> Spam button
> disappear from the toolbar as it does now, it should remain,
> in an obviously
> disabled state. We do this in Firefox with reduced-opacity
> icons. Outlook
> seems to do this with grayed-out images.

It took me a little time to determine exactly what you meant here (I
initially thought you were referring to the fact that Outlook sometimes
hides what it considers 'unused' buttons) - but I believe you are saying
that the 2 'spam/not spam' buttons should always be visible, but for all
folders other than 'maybe', one or the other will be disabled?

I'm not that keen on the idea - disabled UI elements are confusing enough as
it is, and one that never becomes enabled are more so!  I expect some users
would assume that the button will enable for particular items, but it will
not until you change folders.  I'm willing to be convinced by a chorus of
'me too!'s, but in the meantime, I suggest you customize the toolbars and
swap the order of the buttons in your 'maybe' folder - that should mean the
'delete as spam' button is in the same location as the inbox, and should
help prevent this specific mistake.